- REDIRECT Template:Copy edit
|Microsoft Expression Web|
|Microsoft Expression Web 3|
Expression Web 3 running on Windows 7
|Latest release||4 (4.0.1165.0) / June 7, 2010|
|Website||Microsoft Expression Web|
Microsoft Expression Web, code-named Quartz, is an HTML editor and general web design program by Microsoft. It is part of the Expression Studio suite. It is not considered by Microsoft to be a WYSIWYG editor, nor is it touted as such. The EW community FAQ describes EW as an HTML editor that "is designed to make quality, standards-compliant websites that display properly on all browsers."
Microsoft Expression Web provides the ability to install add-ons from third-party developers, extending its capabilities.
- Microsoft Expression Web
- On May 14, 2006, Microsoft released the first Community Technology Preview version of Expression Web. On September 5, 2006, Microsoft released Beta 1. The major change from CTP 1 was that most of the old FrontPage bots, parts, functions and non-standard features were removed. The Release To Manufacturing version was made available on December 4, 2006.
- Microsoft Expression Web 2
- Microsoft Expression Web 2 was released in 2008. Expression Web 2 offers native support for PHP and Silverlight.
- Microsoft Expression Web 3
- Microsoft Expression Web 3 was released in 2009. It featured an updated front-end UI written in WPF, in line with the rest of the Expression Suite, and included the Expression Web 3 SuperPreview tool, for comparing and rendering of webpage in various different browsers.
- Microsoft Expression Web 4
- Microsoft Expression Web 4 was released on June 7, 2010. It added the option of HTML add-ins, and access to a web-based SuperPreview functionality, for testing pages on browsers that cannot be installed on the users system (such as Mac OS X or Linux browsers). EW4 also provides an SEO Checker which analyzes your site against the best practices for getting the highest possible search-engine rankings for your site.
Both PC Magazine's Edward Mendelson and PC Pro's Tom Arah rated Expression Web 2 four stars (out of 5 and out of 6 respectively). "It largely succeeded by concentrating on providing standards-compliant support for the web's core markup languages, (X)HTML and CSS," Arah concluded.
PC Magazine labeled it as a more cost-effective option compared to the main competitor, Adobe Dreamweaver. "Even if money is no object, Expression Web 2 might be your better choice," Editor Edward Mendelson wrote.
However, PC Magazine criticized a lack of "Secure FTP in its Web-publishing functions" and "the ability to create browser-based (as opposed to server-based) scripting of dynamic pages that works in all browsers, including Safari". On the other hand, PC Magazine noted that "most designers won't care about their absence". Microsoft Expression 3 now supports SFTP and FTPS.
Also noted was the lack of support for root relative links, links that start with a "/" to refer to the root of a web server. This feature was added with Expression 3 Service Pack 1.
|Version and Build||Date|
|4017.1004 CTP 1||May 14, 2006|
|4518 RTM||December 4, 2006|
|2008.1200.4518.1084 RTM||May 1, 2008|
|4.0.1165.0 RTM||June 7, 2010|
Microsoft Store Edit
For many countries, it is not possible to buy and download this product from Microsoft Store due to geographical limits. Local on-line stores are also often not available, and only a shrink-wrapped version is an option.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Pearson, Bill (04/29/2009). "Microsoft Expression Web Community FAQ -- See #5". Microsoft.com. pp. 1. http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/99c95aee-bfe6-4c4d-80d4-8d197194a942. Retrieved June 25, 2010.
- ↑ http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Web_SysRequirements.aspx
- ↑ http://webdesign.about.com/od/expressionweb/gr/expression_web2.htm
- ↑ http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/products/?p=674
- ↑ http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364798,00.asp
- ↑ http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Web_Features.aspx
- ↑ http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/197913/microsoft-expression-web-2.html
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Mendelson, Edward (06/11/08). "Microsoft Expression Web 2 - Full Review - Reviews by PC Magazine". PCMAG.COM. pp. 3. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2319674,00.asp. Retrieved May 16, 2009.
- ↑ Secure FTP in Expression 3
- ↑ http://blogs.msdn.com/xweb/archive/2010/04/26/different-types-of-hyperlinks.aspx
Microsoft Expression Web Links
Third Party Expression Web Links
- Expression Web Blog
- Expression Web Help
- Expression Web Tutorials and Free DWT Templates
- Expression Web Tips
- By Expression Web - Videos and Tutorials
- Free Expression Web Community ToolbarTemplate:Microsoft Expression
de:Microsoft Expression Web es:Expression Web fr:Microsoft Expression Web id:Microsoft Expression Web nl:Microsoft Expression Web ja:Microsoft Expression Web pl:Microsoft Expression Web pt:Microsoft Expression Web ru:Microsoft Expression Web th:ไมโครซอฟท์ เอกซ์เพรสชันเว็บ